
Can't even remember the rest of the day, all I can think of right now is this cardboard tray full of the biggest, freshest, sweetet blackberries I've ever had. One by one, it starts to come back to me...this is my last one..just one more...I swear...
Loaded up the bikes and drove out to Andrew's place to do a final pre-race tune up. Worked on the wheels, worked on the breaks, talked about tire selection...also talked about Allamuchy in August. After we got both bikes tuned (still hadn't quite decided which one to use and will take both regardless), I decided that I really needed to choose my weapon and focus on it between now and next Sunday.
It was about then that K came home and, as we helped her unload the groceries, Andrew and I picked at the blackberries sitting on the counter in their kitchen. K was going to make little pies, so we got our hands slapped, but it was worth it. So when it was time for me to roll out, I swung by the orchard which was just up the street from their house, grabbed a cardboard tray and picked some berries before heading home. The rows were long and the bushes in fine shape. My little trick was to pick through the row I was in to reach the backside of the next row. That way, I was able to easily reach the berries that others could not see or didn't go for. I get bonus points for major self-control, I ate only a very few while picking... Five or ten minutes later and I was back at the counter, paying for my load. They rode right next tome all the way home so that I could...protect them, yea, that's right, I was "protecting" them... Mmmm.
So Thursday I head south to NC... Will stop in and visit Jim and Sarah and see what is in season on their farm. It's probably been twenty years since we've seen each other. That will be the last stop before entering the penumbra of Mt. Mitchell...
No comments:
Post a Comment