Thursday, January 21, 2010

The rest of the enchilada...

Still a prominent landmark, the Hanging Rock is said to have sheltered General Washington during a storm as his troops made their way to Valley Forge for the Winter of 1777 – 1778. The photograph is circa 1900. Photo Courtesy of Shopmainline.com


Well, the ride home was actually pretty good today. I rode all the way in from home yesterday but left the bike at work in the city overnight and took the train home. I had been hoping to pick up my car, but no such luck. So today I took the train in with A, and then rode home. I wasn't fighting a headwind either, so that was nice.

Weather was beautiful. And since it was warmer this afternoon than it was yesterday morning at 5:30am, I had on plenty of clothes.

Did the usual route out to Conshy, then looped under the bridge, up the short steep hill and then back over the bridge. The traffic on Baligomingo Road wasn't bad and there was still plenty of light. Trying to take it easy, no pushing hard, but also not wanting to get caught out on the road at twilight.

There were a couple of cars at the traffic light at Gulph Mills, but it was an easy cut from there to the 1.3 mile climb up Arden Road to Upper Gulph. (If you don't make the right onto Arden, you pass under Hanging Rock.) Again, traffic on Upper Gulph wasn't bad so I decided to not cut through the college. I turned off of Upper Gulph, made a couple of cranks and was at the top of the ridge and home free. Total travel time was less than an hour and a half, so I thought that was good.

Perhaps this is the new routine.

Today's ride and not having to drive to Conshy to start riding inspired a potential bumper sticker: "There ain't nuthin' stupider than a bike on a car."

No comments: