Friday, April 8, 2011

Springtime?


  • (Sorry about the formatting, this thing has a mind of it's own...)

  • Well the rain that they were promising all week, finally came on Friday...

  • But the week started off a bit on the chilly side. Wore my winter shoes on the ride in to work on Wednesday. Though it warmed up just enough on Thursday that I wore the Sidis with the toe-snugglies. It's always really nice when you get the level of clothing just right. But maybe that's just because I stress over it so much, it's nice to know that my stress is not for nought. Or that I am actually getting good at figuring out the right combo to wear. It's always hard, though.

  • The cherry blossoms and the dogwoods along the river are in bloom, though it seems a bit anachronistic given the lack of any Spring-like balm in the air. And I also noticed, at six o'clock in the morning, the unmistakable scent of B-B-Q coming from Tommy Gunn's B-B-Q joint, a tiny little place in the middle of nowhere, tucked in between the hillside on one side, the creek on the other and the big bus stop across a very busy avenue. I guess if you're hungry and the bus is late, TG's it is! (They do catering, too.)

  • So although I rode in on Thursday, I didn't ride home. As a result, I took the train in this morning with the plan of riding the bike home. So even though the rain that they have been promising since Sunday finally showed up today, and even though it came riding in on a cold front that brought the temp down to about 45, what the heck, ya gotta do it... How bad can it be for an hour, right?

  • Well, truth be told it wasn't too bad at all. The rain wasn't too heavy, the traffic too was pretty light. Not the car traffic, but the foot and runner traffic over by the boathouses. Often the sidewalks are crammed with hordes strolling to an afternoon practice session. Chatted with another rider for a little while which seldom happens. Felt me feet getting a bit heavy as my shoes got wetter. And I always love to watch the water coming off of the front tire. Like the tire is a teenagers head and the water is a mohawk flying upward, bending back and forth as I steer a little this way and that. Love it.

  • I never would have imagined that a wet ride in that temperature would have been so nice, but there you have it. I guess the moral of the story is to not let your imagination steer you in the wrong direction. Whatever it is, it it seems that "doing" it isn't the hard part. The hard part is imagining that you can do it. So get off your proverbial (or actual) butt and do something!

  • Of course, the nice hot shower at home felt pretty good too! And I wasn't even thinking about that!

No comments: