My first race, at age forty, the Mt. Washington
Hillclimb included a “training” regimen of riding about once a week, for about
an hour or two. (Granted, it included 3 or 4 laps up “The Wall”, but still…) My
impressive training paid off with a ride time of about 2:20 for the 8 mile distance.
Granted it was steep, but still, there were spectators strolling the course who
were going about the same speed I was going. In the end I needed help just
getting off the bike.
My first run at the Breck Epic included a crash at
the end of Day2. Then starting Day3 I had absolutely nothing in me and had a
total breakdown after the paved road climb but just prior to dropping in to the
Aspen Tunnel. But I rested, recovered and nailed days 4, 5 and 6 which included
Mt. Guyot and Wheeler Pass. But just sitting there at the final dinner/party,
knowing that I was not going to get a buckle, I really, really wanted one and I
knew that I had to come back. I did get my buckle for my second and third Breck
Epics. (It was just a stupid belt buckle, but still…)
I mention this because of what this portends for
my first run at the CTR in August. Failing involves learning, yea, I get that.
And the subsequent refining and honing of the plan and dealing with the
logistics is sort of fun, too. But in bigger races where the time and effort
and money involved just to get to the start line is so much larger, the idea of
not finishing is not a happy thought. It would be great if on my first effort,
I could not just finish, but also be in great shape, put in a great effort, and
be happy with the results. This is an odd admission from the person whose idea
of a great race is one where, prior to the race, you aren’t sure if you will
even be able to finish it.
And if that is a requirement for a great race,
then the CTR definitely qualifies.

No comments:
Post a Comment