Thursday, July 10, 2014

Three Hours from Fernie



We push ourselves on to greater things,
We face our fears and head out into the storm
We know we may not make it all the way
We know that simply finishing is a major accomplishment
That is part of what drives us, part of the lure.

(I do this not because I am special
But to demonstrate to others what they can do
For if I can do it, so can you.)

We plan, we strategize, we train, we prepare in all sorts of ways
And yet, when we don’t make it, even though we knew all along that that was a possibility
And even when we understand that just toeing the line is something magical we are permitted to do 
And a thrill that only a few will experience,
Even so, it takes a truly amazing spirit to still say “It’s ok”
There is no loss, there is only the journey.
And did you do your best?
(Though even that for some folks is a very loaded question)

We’re fighters, we’re  resisters
We tend to not go quietly into the night
We hold ourselves to high standards, and are, perhaps unfairly, hard on ourselves when we fall short of our expectations
No matter how over the top or out of touch with ROTG (Reality On The Ground) that may be
We need to remember the kindness that we would extend to others, and extend it to ourselves.

If we can do that simple act, we will be a success.


Thank you, J!ll.

1 comment:

Ji!! said...

My heart is not so heavy anymore after reading this. I love your perspective and wisdom wrapped inside genuine and unconditional encouragement...Deep down I know I fought as hard as I could and did everything possible (I was literally walking up to any vehicle at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants that could feasibly haul a mountain bike asking for a ride) and sometimes there are things that are beyond my control. As I reflect on the journey that got me to where things went to hell, I see it truly was the GREATEST failure ever--meaning the fact that I did not make it to the end is buried far beneath the memories, the places, the moments and the stirring that occured within my soul.I will never, ever forget one second, one smell, one thought, one person, or one turn of the crank that happened along the way. Thank you for this. Thank you. You know how to write what I need to read....