Sunday, May 14, 2023

Two Stories: An Update

 Ok, so I had no theories, nothing, to explain the mysterious eggs I found. Just too bizarre for words.

But then, apropos of what, I don't know, my wife mentions that the neighbors (about 2+ blocks away) have chickens. Hmm...

Well, I know that I've seen a fox running through the neighborhood...

I also know that foxes like to "get into the henhouse"...

Ok, sounds like we might have something here...

But then it took a little research and a discussion with a friend to discover something that I did not know. That foxes sometimes take and bury eggs! Wow. I had no idea. SO I think...mystery solved.

Of course, it's a little weird that he came right up to my front door to bury an egg in our concrete planter. Or that he went further onto the porch to get to the planted that was sitting on the wall edge further away. This is a place where there is about a six foot drop down to the ground, so I might call him "trapped" is someone or something had found him there. But what do I know, maybe jumping down six feet onto the ground is no big deal if you're a fox.

As someone said recently, there is a lot of wildlife activity that goes on in your yard about which you have no idea.




"Foxes generally carry eggs away from nests. They may then eat them or they will cache (bury) them for consumption later."

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how-to/identify-wildlife/how-to-identify-egg-thieves/

No comments: