Thursday, September 3, 2009

New Years in September

Forget about the REAL New Years in January. The one where folks make all kinds of resolutions that are just about impossible to keep during the middle of a long cold dark winter. An arbitrary ritual with no connection to the real world.

Well, yesterday was just a gorgeous day. The weather was perfect, the temperature was perfect. And so I went for a ride. Normally, I don't get much riding in during September because I'm still recovering from Allamuchy and enjoying some well earned "time off." But this year, with only 10 1/2 hours at Allamuchy I'm not nearly as beat up as normal and so I have been feeling pretty good about riding. And with the imminent approach of cold weather and, more importantly, greatly reduced amounts of daylight, it is important to get the miles in now. "Base miles" they call them. The more the better. And this year (yet again) I am really going to make an effort to keep the riding up and to have a good reserve of miles in when spring time finally comes.

So anyway, the weather. The weather yesterday was so perfect that it was very easy to make a resolution to ride more, excercise more, be outside more. Who isn't gonna want to do that when everything lines up just like it does now? So even thought it was September, if felt like a natural New Years Day where the world was conspiring to encourage you on, to not just entice you today, but to get you to commit to doing this everyday, to make a resolution. And to keep it.

No comments: