Sunday, August 30, 2009

Allamuchy Aftermath...

Ya know, during the ocurse of the race weekend, I have many brilliant insights into the essence of such a race/event. And I am always convinced that because they are so insightful and well, at the time, obvious, that of course I will remember them. But then, after it is all done, and the gear has been packed up, lugged to the car for the long tired drive home, then more unpacking and cleaning and catching up...somehow the obvious seems to have faded.

There was one funny part, during the last lap, during the storm, when I heard a huge crack and a crash. Coming down the hill, I came across a rider who was standing at the top of a technical section who says "Did you hear that? Was that a tree?" to which I can't help but respond, "I guess it DOES make a noise..." Just as I exited that short section with what I thought was pretty good skill given the time and conditions, another rider, a different rider, one that I hadn't even seen approaching from the rear, past me and was gone. Musta been his first lap...

Another more "valuable" lesson I learned this year is about the durability of Shimano's rear hubs. This is not the first time when, after riding in the muck, the rear hub is trashed. I've replaced them before, unfortunately it has always been with another XT hub. After listening to folks comlain about XT hubs for years, after hearing other hubs described in much more favorable terms, after a visit to Garrison's bike shop, I now understand. Among other things the secret is cartridge bearing, not balls bearings. And while it hasn't been an issue for me, bolting the disk rotor directly to the hub, rather than riveting it to something else and then attaching that to the hub, is the way to go. And once again, we learn the lesson that if you buy the good stuff first, it most likely will preclude you from having to purchase a second or even a third replacement.

So now I'm looking at a new set of wheels for the Rocky. Putting in a new, rock solid rear hub with cartridge bearings. One that won't need to be replaced after every mudfest. As they say "It's the stingy man who spends the most." Can someone please pass that along to my wife?

No comments: