Sunday, April 11, 2010

More Cow Bell

Photo courtesy of Delmarva Photo
Part I The Race Review

Well, I really wasn't too into doing the Fair Hill race cuz the Cross Country races (as opposed to the Endurance races) tend to be fast, tight and filled with folks with sharp elbows and lots of speed, but not much technical skill. If it's a dead sprint, I can tell you right now that I ain't gonna be there...


I prefer riding as an adventure, something that you're glad to just finish, not something that requires you to "place" in order to be respectable. Besides, I think there's a difference between pushing yourself to finish and pushing yourself to win, though Gordo may disagree.*

* Ya gotta see The Movie to understand. "Oy pushed it beyond, Mum."


End of race review. Don't want to talk about it. That's not why I'm out there. I'm out there for something else and right now that something else is to get in better shape for Breck. Period.




Part II The Bike Review

The brakes were awesome. Easy one finger braking was spot on, though of course, we were not coming down Boreas Pass Road on the big ring pedaling hard... The bars were comfy, too, though the inside of my thumb was pressed up into the joint of the H-bars and that could be a problem in a longer race. So I think I am going to look for a a different stem and some riser bars to get the better fit. There was a little bit of an issue with the rear der, but we should be able to figure that out and get it tightened up. With no long hills, it was definitely a rolling race course, perfect for the 29er and you could really feel it. Accidentally got a bit too much air coming over the one downhill riser, but I just got back, went with it, landed smooth and just kept going. Nice.

Maybe this (sort of) go-fast thing isn't so bad...




Post Script: Cow bells are often clanged for encouragement by the spectators. I love hearing that sound. Another pop culture reference ya gotta know is the expression "more cow bell." The gist of which is that you can never have too much...cow bell.

No comments: