Of course it's dark out when I leave, so I needed to get my lights on and all. Didn't take too long for me to realize that I hadn't checked the seat height after I swapped seat posts, but "It's not too bad..." so I can ride it like this. Besides my tool is in my Camelbak and with the light setup, getting into that could be a pain...
After the little climb up to the ridge, I was on a little downhill when I hit the speed bumbs in the road. Flying colors. I unweighted the front wheel a bit just as I hit it, shifted my weight as I went over it. Not bad at all. Probably took it at my normal speed, despite the skinny tires. So far so good.
I then come out by the elementary school and as soon as I start up the last rise before the long run down toward the river, I immediately realize this is not going to be fun. The have taken the big "eater" and chewed off the top two inches of asphalt in preparation for resurfacing the road. The remaining ridges just vibrate me and the entire bike! So where I had been expecting a pretty fast, and a little cold, downhill ride, I instead get a slow 5-10 minutes of jarring. Not fun.
Fortunately the pavement returned to normal and I was able to continue down towards the river. But I guess the shaking was too much, or else in swapping seat posts I neglected to tighten this one enough, so now my knees untolerably low. I pull over at the Park & Ride and adjust the seat back up to where it should be. Ah, much better.
I do the long sprint across the Fayette Street bridge trying to cross before the red light turns green and releases the waiting cars to head out after me. Surprisingly, I make it all the way across before any of them catch me. Nice.
Cresting on Hector Street, there is a glimpse of bright orange in the east. Not a gaudy display, but just enough to make you pause.
Spinning out on the trail now, things feel pretty good. There is a decided click near the bottom bracket or one of the pedals, but it seems like not a big deal. I stop at the end of the trail, but it's too small and still too dark to bother to look to hard to figure it out. Mount back up and head down toward the real test. Straight out the end of River Street, not turning to follow the asphalt but instead following it straight to it's end, cutting around the potholes, crossing the tracks, then down the cobbles and onto the canal trail. Not too shabby.
The light requires that you maintain your focus at a specific distance. Right at the edge of the light beam. Focus in closer and you don't have time to react. Focus further out and its...well, it's just dark. Definitely not time to be gazing around, twirling my head. But the bike rides nice and smooth.
Finally pulling off of the trail onto Main Street, I am definitely not pushing the pace, but by the time I am at the other end of town, I realize that the bike glides along nicely and likes to roll down the buttery smooth tar ribbon that the roadies have grooved into the edge of the road.
It's been a rainy two weeks so I have done little riding. The long dry summer was, I now realize, a god-send for riding and training. I don't mind riding in the rain and getting wet, but I don't like what it does to the machine. I've killed more than one rear hub (Shimano) riding in the rain and mud. So I'm taking my time.
The one thing that will take some getting use to is the cornering. These tires are skinny and I am reluctant to throw the bike too hard into some of the corners. I'm sure they have more grip than I have guts, but still, this may take some getting use to.
All in all, it was the same ride I normally do. I didn't avoid the trail. I jumped a couple of small curbs. I didn't worry about bridge seams. The manhole covers that I dodged are the same ones I avoid on my other bike, so no change there.
Pulled up to the coffee shop at about my normal time, Chris brought the bike inside for a closer look...

No comments:
Post a Comment