Friday, October 29, 2010

October 29


Walking from the train to the coffee shop this morning...I see a gaggle (?) of kids and am reminded that it is Halloween. Big purple pants, purple and black and white dreadlocks, what is she? Then I realize. She is an art student. And she is not dressed for Halloween.



Walking from the coffee shop to the office I see someone in fishnet stockings who looks like a trollop. I then realize that that is not an art student, but an actual trollop.



I mention this to my colleague coming into the building with me and she mentions the 300 pound prostitute she saw who was...a three hundred pound prostitute.



And so it goes, Halloween in the city...just another day...



But then, on the train platform coming home, my eye caught someone in an actual costume. She was sitting on the floor near the benches, legs tucked under her off to the side. Very patchwork, calico type of thing, with a lace doily with eyeholes for a mask and stockings in wild swirling pastels. Not a trollop. The patchwork had the effect of making her look, less like a person, and more like a pile of something...she was very intriguing looking and when I had the momentary thought of "What is she" I had to wonder about that. Why is it not enought to be IN costume? Why do you have to be someone or something? Why not just be?



Perhaps there is an answer, but I'm not sure...

No comments: