Tom turned 40 in December and this trip was his present to himself.
His kid just started kindergarten with my friend Andrew's son, and there was an open spot so I got the call.
Despite not really knowing each other, (well, the three of them have been friends since grade school, then there was Andrew and me...) the group got along very well, everyone was very easy going and accommodating.
This is the base area, you can see the tram leaving the for a trip to the top...
During peak times, they really pack folks into the tram, like a Japanese subway car! Fortunately I was not pressed up against the door.
Here is the tram passing the famous Corbett's Couloir which is a "must do" chute for really good skiers (or people who think they are)...
Another shot of Corbett's....doesn't look so bad from this angle.
More miscellaneous cliffs...
Here's some good prefessional shots of Corbett's.
(Right-click and select Open in New Tab...)
Corbett's Video (Professional)
Unfortunately, this isn't how MOST folks do it.
Looking for good video on-line I found most videos were about 10 minutes long, mostly of people peering over the edge and swearing about how scary it looked...Most involved folks VERY slowly edging over the side, pretty funny actually...
These guys were a little better than most, but there is still profanity!
Corbett's with profanity
The tram landing at the top...
Just a bunch of guys from PA...
I believe they call it a "bluebird" sky...
Big, wide open bowls are really nice. It's hard to show how steep they are, but they are...
Corbett's when the clouds have rolled in...
Those little dots are people who are about half way down the slope I am pointing down, a run called Cirque.
It was scary the first time, but I came to enjoy this one, especially as it was "the easy way" down.
Gondola going through the trees...
The hard thing about getting better is that you have to push your comfort zone. But sometimes it is good to just chill and enjoy some easy stuff. So my steeps have gotten better, but I think I am ready for some relaxation during spring break in Tahoe with the family...

No comments:
Post a Comment