Sunday, January 6, 2013

Mixing it up...

Gotta keep the feet warm...insulated shoes and waterproof booties. Love 'em!

Lying in bed this morning I thought I saw snow on the leaves outside, but said "Nah..., that can't be, but sure enough we got about an inch or so.

I was meeting the Boys at 9:00 to ride the Wissahickon in Fairmount Park.  Threw the studded snow tires onto the 26" Superlight, but had second thoughts about how much snow there was, how much there might be in the Wiss and decided to just roll with what was on the 29er, the Moots. Temps were supposed to go up to the low 40's so I figured that the snow, what there was, wouldn't last anyway...

Turns out that we ran into a whole lot of different conditions out there. There was a thin layer of snow in many parts, snow covering a thin layer of ice in other parts and clear ground in others. But then, following the contour and circling around the hills, it was pretty clear when we came upon the south side of the hill. More sunshine, and usually a thin layer of mud, though not nearly as much mud as last weekend.

There are a number of cool old features throughout Fairmount Park, not the least of which is various stone structures and walls. There is also another place we pass that was once part of an estate and we ride ride past a metal gate, just the gate, standing there all by itself in the middle of the woods.  When I see things like this I can definitely hear the stories being whispered, but I can't quite make out the words...

So that's two weekends in a row I've gotten a good ride in, and some mid-week spinning, so this is good. But a long way to go... Need to keep it up so that I can get in shape and drop some pounds. Gotta say though, there is something about this time of year that makes me want to eat. Must go back to our origins and hibernating in a cave and eating whatever you could to make it through the winter.

And this week it is supposed to be in the 50's. Most folks might find this good news, but I don't like the trend, not to mention that it just seems wrong to be hitting those temperatures in the middle of January...


A good hosing down and some post-ride lube,,,


No comments: