Saturday, March 13, 2010

Proof of Life


Signs of Spring...

About this time of year, I start thinking about a REAL compost bin. Well, as I was sketching it out this morning, it occurred to me that that sure was a lot of lumber I was going to need... So I took a quick look on Craig's List, found that BM College had a stack of pallets on their loading dock that were free for the taking, and so I have a new plan. These skids are pretty nice too, so I think that this will work out well.

I need to build the bins, complete with security all around before I can start to do anything with kitchen scraps or with horse manure. Otherwise the dog is just gonna eat it or it will attract other animals and I can do without that. Can't do much more on this project while it is pouring rain uotside, but that's ok, one step at a time. I'm a slow thinker and an even slower do-er.

The leaf pile in the corner is doing pretty well. Once I clear a spot in the undergrowth for the compost bins, I can use some of that stuff as a base. Also need to rake out the beds and maybe, if I am feeling very industrious, order up a load of mulch to spread around. The clearing of the fence line in the fall, prior to installing the new fence, was fairly motivating, on the other hand, I wasn't the one doing all the hard work so we'll see just how much I can actually get done...and still ride on the weekends.

Thinking about tomato plants and other things for the garden. I am a sucker for tomatoes, but the potatoes turned out pretty well last year too, harvesting them was a lt of fun. If you've never dug up potatoes with your own hands before, you have to try it!

Oh yes, and along with the compost bin is the rain barrel project, but we'll save that for another time...

No comments: