Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring / Snow



"There is nothing worse than having all that snow to be enjoyed and have people stay at home and wait for spring. " Susan Haywood


I suppose that now that the end (and the grass) is in sight, I have to agree with Susan. Our annual ski trip to Utah is always a little odd because we leave here in spring, arrive there in 50 degree temps, and then go skiing. It's a bit like pulling a snowball out of the freezer in July and throwing it when you could have more appropriately just thrown a mudball.


It's funny some of the differences between skiing/boarding and riding a bike. With the former you really are in contact with the ground, sliding over it, cutting in on the corners, with just a thin layer between you and the earth. And although there is the possibility of getting hurt, wiping out on skiis just seems to present less of a danger of a broken collarbone than a crash in the dirt, on a rocky descent, or losing it on a landing. What could be better than falling in the snow? It's what kids live for.


So I'm cruising the bike calendars, seeing what races are when, what I want to do, what will fit in with the rest of our lives...trying to fit in a couple of fun events before the big one out in Breck. Hoping that I will have the Moots all dialed in and feel comfortable on it for six long days of riding. Also hoping that the work I've been doing since January will provide a good base for a strong season. It will be interesting to see if I'm still sucking wind when riding with The Boys...


Also hope to verify that the Shawmont trail is open again so that I can get back into riding to work. Could be messy, but hey, who's afraid of a little mud, right?




No comments: