Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Two Sides

Riding into work the other morning, there were a lot of boats out on the river. Definitely a sign of spring. As I passed the public boat house I noticed a 8 person boat out front. Having recently received my brother's new boat, I particularly noticed the outriggers on it, though their placement didn't catch my eye at all.



It was only on the ride home, coming from the other angle, that I noticed what I had missed in the morning. It never occurred to me to question why the outrigger was mounted so close to the end of the boat. Well, it turns out that that wasn't always the end of the boat. Just in front of the outrigger there was...I hate to say a "clean" break as it was a bit jagged, but it certainly wasn't all splintery and nasty. Clearly if I had counted more closely I might have noticed it was perhaps only a 7, or maybe a 7 and a half.



It's funny how some things look fairly ordinary when viewed from one direction, even when something is out of place, but when viewed from the opposite direction, they reveal a whole other side.

No comments: