Sunday, February 21, 2021

Another Day

 The stoma is closing up nicely. And it's amazing how much the swelling of the stuff in the mouth has gone down. I guess I didn't realize how huge everything must have been. The numbness of the chin and lip is more annoying than I had anticipated. And I keep hoping that the numbness on the top of my foot will go away, too. Not sure how long the nerves in the chin might need, assuming that they are able to regenerate. The leg seems to be healing up nicely, too.

I also tried sipping from a cup yesterday and it seemed to work. No real drooling. It was a little awkward so I’ll probably stick with the straw for a while, but that seems like a milestone.

And I slept in my bed last night. I think I'm done with nights in the recliner. Doing "normal" stuff seems to really help contribute to a sense of progress; a sense of return.

I got 10 minutes in on the bicycle yesterday, very easy, just spinning, really, but I hope to be able to start ramping it up soon. I still have my eye on the race in August up Mt. Washington, so it would be great to be able to do it again. Pretty sure (at least I was before this surgery) that I could easily beat my old time. Assuming I can get a slot when they open March 1st. Pretty sure I’m going to try to sign up.

Trying to be patient, trying to be kind to myself. Trying not to rush anything. Trying to remain grateful, without at the same time pushing too hard. Just have to let my body control the timeframe for healing. Just hope it heals before I get totally sick of Boost and pureed foods!


No comments: