Trying to keep a positive attitude about the ride tomorrow...
Went down to pick up my registration packet today so as to avoid the lines in the morning and ran into a little Italian Fever that they are attempting to spread via this Gran Fondo...
Nice machinery. Looks like it would be fun to drive on the narrow roads around here (see below).
So after I picked up my packet and race jersey, bought a behind-the-seat-waterbottle-holder so I can carry three water bottles on my road bike. Which means that I think I can do the 108 mile ride tomorrow without my camelback. So that should make me a bit more comfortable. (Actually, I should probably practice suffering with the camelbak as I am definitely going to need it on my next big ride.)
So in addition to the three bottles, I've got two tubes, a patch kit, some gel shots, two bars, a cue sheet, some electrolytes and some other small stuff. Not really planning on doing the ride without stopping, but definitely planning on being self-sufficient.
On the Pedal to Preserve ride we rode right by every aid station. Not a problem as it was only a 50 mile (road) ride, but it was definitely a new experience for me as during a mountain bike race I stop at almost every aid station. Doing 50 miles on just two water bottles was also a new experience. Nice.
Looks like there are thunder storms in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning, so that should make thngs a bit more interesting. At least we shouldn't get too hot...
So why the negativity about this ride? Because I have now leaarned to look at the course BEFORE I register for a ride. Due to permitting issues with the local townships, the route for this ride looks like a tour of the worst biking roads on the Main Line. Many of these roads are so narrow, they not only don't have a shoulder, they don't even have a white line! And of course the drivers are going too fast, talking on their phones and drinking their lattes. These are roads that I simply do not, would not, ride on...except Andrew wanted to do the ride, Ronnie wanted a free jersey, and I wanted a good long ride...If I live through this, I will not ride these roads again.
So after tomorrow it's time for me to register for the SM100. I was looking forward to my first hundie being in the dirt, but oh well. More logistical issues with the SM100 as it requires camping etc, but still, it should be a pretty awesome ride, even if it will involve between 10 and 14 hours of suffering. That race will be more a matter of just finishing than tomorrow's Philadelphia Gran Fondo. And that's what I like, the challenge of just barely being able to finish. That and not getting run over by someone in a Ferrari talking on a cell phone with a crotch full of hot coffee.
No comments:
Post a Comment