But Wednesday morning, after the ride in, my thumb was hurting pretty bad from Sunday's little crash and I had Kim (center) at the coffee shop put some ice in a bag. So once I got to the office I was able to chill my thumb and it felt a little better.
The fact that I couldn't really pick up the paper cup of coffee was starting to freak me out a little bit. That and the fact that the water bottle I keep on my desk, I needed to support it with my left hand when picking it up.
Thursday I actually called the doctor. At 10:05 they said they had a 10:45 opening so I jumped at...just in case. Then went and had some x-rays done, again, just in case. But it turns out that it is ok. (You were right Mom, I never should have gone to the doctor!)
Nurse said to take 3 advil, 3 times a day.
Finally today I rode the bike home.
A good ride and the thumb definitely feels not as bad, so that's good. Should be back to normal by next week.
Last Sunday, for like 5 miles I'm following this chick through the singletrack. She's lookin good and I'm hanging with her. Rockin this great section of trail, up and down, but definitely a downhill grade. After about 5 miles I made a small mistake and fell off the train. After hitting the aid station and then riding alone and doing some serious solo suffering, I slowly started to get it back together. I caught her on an uphill section and it turns out that instead of doing the full 50, that she's gonna take the cutoff and do the 25 mile course instead.
"I got nothin" she says.
I respond, "But that's when the race begins, once your tank is empty."
I try to be encouraging, but she peels off and starts the long downhill roll to the Start/Finish..
So she dragged me along, spent herself, had me following along, then she bails, leaving me to carry on and do the full 50. (Hey, it was my decision to hang with her, so I can't lay that on her.)
Clearly she's a racer-type. They want it to be about the race and if they are not in the hunt, then they might as well drop out.
Whereas I am looking for the thrill of doing it. Making it to the end and doing the best I can. Regardless of where I "place."
It's all done in the context of a race and with other folks, but "racing" it is not.
Oh well, I finished, and I was glad I ate the whooooole thing.
One small momento that I didn't notice until Monday night...
*** Mt Washington Update ***
This week Dad also sent me the annual article wih the results of the Mt. Washington Hillclimb. The winner? Mountain biking legend Ned "the Lung" Overend. On his 56th birthday. Wow. Second place? Another mountain bike phenom, Tinker Juarez, age 50. Old Guys Rock!

No comments:
Post a Comment